St John the Evangelist Church

Who Are We?

St John’s Church is part of the Dewsbury Team Parish, which is made up of 3 churches, each with its own style of ministry, reflecting the diversity of the communities it serves. Over the last ten years, the church has undergone refurbishment and improvement so that it can continue it’s work in the Dewsbury Moor Area.

Community

Our church serves an area made up of different social and private housing estates, and different faith communities. The space at St John’s provides a focus for people to meet and encourage community cohesion and build positive relationships. As such we have supported local people through a myriad of challenges and celebrations through the years. Members of the community are always warmly welcomed to share activities and worship.

Our Aims

  • To provide community space – where new and existing groups can meet and new initiatives can be launched. 
  • To unite the community – a place to meet and encourage community gatherings.
  • To help young families – providing family activities such as Messy Church, to encourage and build relationships with each other.
  • To meet the needs of our schools – the church school is situated across the road from the church and regularly uses the church for performances and Christian celebration assemblies. It also provides tours of historical and faith interest to local schools.

History

St John’s is a Waterloo church built for areas of urban priority in 1818. It is set in a large open churchyard, which contains graves of significant historical interest. The churchyard was the original burial ground for the Union Workhouse (now Dewsbury District Hospital).

It also houses the grave of Dr Charles Turner Thackrah, who pioneered occupational medicine and was an early campaigner for the protection of children in mines and factories. As a founder member of the Occupational Medicine Society his grave has attracted visitors from the society’s annual conference.

Of local importance are the Newsome and Fox families who are buried here and have commemorative windows in the church. They owned woollen mills in the area.

We have links to a modern day martyr – Vivian Redlich who was curate at St Johns and later was executed for his faith in Papua New Guinea in 1942 when the Japanese invaded.

The area has historic links with the Bronte family; Charlotte Bronte regularly attended morning and evening services when she lived locally on Healds Road. Her father Patrick was curate at the Minster Church of All Saints.

 

Church Wardens

Rita Hetherington and Christine Sharpe

Location, Parking and Accessibility

St John’s church is located on Boothroyd Lane, Dewsbury, West Yorkshire, WF13 2JA.

There is limited on site parking, roadside parking is available along Boothroyd Lane.

The church is accessible although there is step of around 4-5cm to negotiate at the main entrance.

There are disabled toilet and baby changing facilities.

A loop system operates in the Worship Area.

There is a small kitchenette with food preparation capabilities, alongside a seating area for teas and coffees.

For more information on the space, please visit our Room Hire section.